Welcome to the 2021/2022 school year!
On behalf of the St. Elizabeth Staff and myself, we look forward to seeing our
students return to St. Elizabeth on Tuesday, September 7th, 2021!
We know that many of you have questions about what this year will look like and what the regulations will be. We continue to work closely with both the Board and Ottawa Public Health in order to implement a plan for a safe return to school for both students and staff.
It does look very similar to last year as we already know that we will maintain cohorting, masks, and good hand hygiene.
Based on new OPH recommendations, Kindergarten students are now required to wear masks in school. All students will also need to wear masks on student transportation. Students should have two clean masks each day.
We are here for you! Together we will do our very best to keep schools open and create a safe, fun and academically successful year.
We look forward to seeing our Eagles on September 7th!
Take Care and God Bless,
Kim Izsak Jodi Ashton
Principal Vice Principal
What does your Child Need for School?
OCSB Suggested Items for Return to School
- glue stick
- pencil sharpener which catches pencil shavings
- crayons (primary) or coloured pencils (junior)
- 1 pair headphones or earbuds from a Dollar Store - Labelled with child’s name
- dry erase marker
- small blanket or mat - Kindergarten students only
First Day of School
The school yard will be staffed to receive students between 7:45 - 8:00 am. Our SK students will enter the school yard at the gate - Entrance A. All other students will enter the school from the appropriate assigned door. If you or your child are unsure of where to go or which door to use, please ask one of the orange-vested teachers. The assigned doors are as follows:
Entrance D (closest door to Kenzie St.) - 1A (Mr. Cook), 1B (Ms. Meldrum), 2 (Ms. Griffith), 2/3A (Ms. Bednarek),
Entrance C (main entrance) - 2/3B (Ms. Campbell), 3/4 (Ms. Melia), 4/5I (Mme Vega), 4/5E (Ms. Sorensen)
Entrance A (closest to gate to enter the school yard) - KPA (Mme Jackson & Mr. Lapierre), KPB (Mme O’Brien), KPC (Ms. Kathmann), Assessment Kindergarten (Ms. Murphy)
Teachers will email their students on Friday with a brief introduction and to let them know which door they should use on Tuesday. Students should check their school email accounts.
Getting Ready for School
- Practice wearing a mask for longer periods of time.
- Talk to your children about what social distancing is and what 1 and 2
meters looks like.
- Teach proper hand washing and hand sanitizer use with the reasons
why it’s important.
- Try to calm any fears about Covid and about being away from
home/family for the day.
- Check the bus planner website for updates and information. If you do not intend to use student transportation services this fall, please complete the Opt-out of transportation form - - If taking the bus, remind children of the importance of keeping their mask on, staying in their seat and sitting in their assigned seat only
- Now is the time to start going to bed earlier and establishing “school bedtime routines”
- Eliminate technology before bed.
- Make a list of lunch and snack ideas together as a family.
- Set up a family routine/ schedule/ calendar of events.
- Younger students can practice using their school bag and lunch
It is even more important this year to ensure that all personal items are labeled. This will cut down on lost and mixed up items.
Help Spread the Word
Please help us spread the word. ALL parents need to sign up for School Messenger to ensure they will receive all regular emails and updates from the school. https://www.ocsb.ca/contact/schoolmessenger/. If you already have an account you do not need to register again, although we recommend you check your account to make sure all the appropriate boxes are checked.
School Website and Twitter
We continue to make communication one of our top priorities. Weekly Memos will be sent via email. Please visit our Website: https://sel.ocsb.ca/ regularly for weekly updates and announcements and follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/StElizabethOCSB
We use this account to share pictures of the great learning that is happening in our school. We encourage you to follow us!